Friday, July 12, 2013

Scenes from Hershey, PA

Recently I traveled to Hershey, PA for my friend Francesca's wedding. (It was beautiful. Congrats Francesca and Bob!) I had never been to Hershey before, and no, I didn't go to Hershey Park, but I did find it to be a nice place to spend a relaxing / festive wedding weekend.
The  wedding was held at the Hotel Hershey. The grounds are beautiful and I loved my visit to the Chocolate Spa (which smells like chocolate and most of the treatments are chocolate-inspired.) The night before the wedding we decided to walk the resort grounds and had a drink at Harvest, the resort's farm-to-table concept restaurant (see it in the back right corner?)
 Harvest sources their produce and meats from local Pennsylvania farms.
I enjoyed a glass of Chateau Ste Michelle sparkling wine, one of my faves. Then we moved on to the resort's Mediteranean restaurant, Trevi 5, for dinner.
 Trevi 5 on Urbanspoon   

Here are some of the highlights:
 Beef carpaccio...
 Grilled Octopus in spicy tomato broth...


And spaghetti bolognese.

Would a dinner out in Hershey be complete without a chocolate martini for dessert? The correct answer is no. This one had chocolate infused vodka, vanilla vodka and 3 Reeses' Peanut Butter Cups on the swizzle stick. Delicious!
 
One of the first things I did when we arrived in Herhsey was getting on Yelp to see what type of attractions might be nearby. A Vineyard? Ok, sold. And off we went to spend the afternoon before the wedding at the Vineyard at Hershey.
It was a quaint and quiet tasting room where you can sample 8 wines for $5.
The view walking down to the vineyard patio where they have live music...
We tried their Firefly red, which was a Cabernet-based wine. I'm a sucker for a cute wine bottle label, and I loved this label!
Check out those rolling green hills. The Pennsylvania landscape is beautiful.
Next up it was time to visit the brewery.  We went to Troeg's, a central Pennsylvania microbrewery that serves (again) farm-to-table food. It was a really cool place and I loved the converted warehouse atmosphere. The beers were great, too!
 Troegs Brewing Co. on Urbanspoon
To try a little bit of everything, we ordered a sampler of three of their craft beers.
At Troeg's I encountered one of my favorite meals of the trip: a meatloaf sandwich on a brioche bun, topped with farm-fresh arugula, mashed potatoes, and bacon, with a mustard vinaigrette dipping sauce. It was divine!
This is the Harvest Salad with  peppery arugula, beets, radishes, local blue cheese and candied walnuts. 

So that's a quick overview of my weekend in Hershey.

  
I'm a chocolate fanatuc at heart, and I couldn't help but love a place that celebrates chocolate in such a fun way. If you visit, keep in mind you never know who you'll see walking around the town....


No comments:

Post a Comment