Monday, January 7, 2013

Breakfast Obsession: Van's Natural Foods Waffles


I have to share my new breakfast obsession: Van's Natural Foods waffles!



Waffles are a great comfort food and as someone who (tries) to eat somewhat healthy, I have always kind of looked at them as a "splurge" or a once-in-a-while treat. Not anymore! I have seriously been eating these healthy waffles every single day for a couple of weeks now. 

My ultimate favorite is the Power Grains waffle. Check out the facts on this one:
  • 10 grams of protein
  • 16 whole grains
  • 90 calories per waffle
For awhile now, I have been making protein pancakes like this one on my Tumblr, (combining protein powder, one egg white, and a 1/2 banana). While they are relatively easy to make, they do take an extra few minutes in the morning, so when I am in a hurry, grabbing the Van's goodness out of my freezer has been a time-saver.


The other variety I've been enjoying is their Lite waffle. Here are the stats on this one:
  • 97% fat free
  • made with whole grains
  • 70 calories per waffle 
The calorie count on the Lites are so low that you have the luxury of topping them with a 150-00 calories worth of toppings (berries, bananas, a tbsp of berry cream cheese, or a tbsp of peanut butter) and still be eating a low-calorie, nutrition-dense breakfast.
 
Van's also makes pancakes, French toast sticks, hot cereals and something called "muffin crowns" -- I haven't tried those yet, but the name makes me think of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine opens a baker that sells only the tops of the muffin. Those will be next on my list to sample but in the meantime I highly recommend these nutrition-packed waffles.

2 comments:

  1. You know what would be awesome on top of that waffle? Some berry Yonana!

    ReplyDelete