Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Recipe: Chai Sweet Chili Vegetable Stirfry


As a holiday gift, my friend Nicole gave me a bottle of this awesome sauce.



I had tried Intensity Academy hot sauces before.  I first had Carrot Karma at The Refinery
 It's an intense, all-natural hot sauce made from (you guessed it): carrots.  I was glad to see that this restaurant not only sources their ingredients from local farms, but also that their table hot sauce was a local product. 

Then I won a bottle of Chai Chipotle Chup in a Facebook contest by my eye doctor, of all places! (Shout out to Bright Eyes for being the most social media-savvy doctor's office around.)  This is like a yummy, BBQ-ish sauce made with chai tea. I don't know how the whole tea infusion process works, but I declare: it is a good one.
  
I was excited to try this new flavor and I LOVE the fact that there is a peacock (my favorite animal) on the bottle.  So I wanted to put my new bottle to use. Intensity Academy describes the sauce as "a light sweet heat sauce with a unique blend of peppers and organic Chai Tea."
And it was the winner of the 2012 "Golden Chile" Award.   

I have been contemplating using my wok, which has sat it it's packaging  since I got it in 2004 for... awhile.  I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to kick off 2013 with a new flavor, and a new cooking tool.  Here was the result and the (easy) recipe is below. 



Enjoy!  (And, to the newbie wok users like myself, don't forget to season your wok.) This YouTube video taught me how.

Sweet Chili Vegetable Stirfry:

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup Intensity Academy Sweet Chili Sauce
  • 3 zucchini's chopped
  • 1 lg onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp chopped garlic
  • 2 cups peppers, chopped (I used Pero Farms mini sweet peppers, found in Publix, but you can use any type of bell pepper or sweet pepper you choose. Maybe even throw in a habanero if you're feeling crazy.)
  •  1 cup cous cous, cooked according to the package directions. (Usually, boil 1 cup water, take off heat and add the cous cous, fork fluff after 5 mins.)
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
Directions:
  • Heat your wok on high and add vegetable oil, lightly cover wok
  • Throw all veggies in the pan, lightly salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 minutes to the texture you like. (I like them somewhat crsip.)
  • Add garlic, cook for 30 seconds, maybe a minute, more.
  • Add Sweet Chili Sauce and cook for about 1 more minute.
  • Serve over cous cous (or rice) and garnish with sesame seeds and sriracha sauce, if you want more heat and bright red color on the plate.
Here are all the places you can find Intensity Academy Sauces here in Tampa.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds absolutely incredible. And high 5 to your social media savvy dentist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog! I will definitely try this later because I really want to cook and eat some chai sweet chili vegetable stirfry later for my dinner. Anyway, do you have also Recipe for Stir Fried Chicken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Donna! You could basically use the same recipe above, just chop up the chikcen into stir-fry size strips and cook it for 5-6 minutes, then throw in your veggies and cook for 3-4 more minutes so the veggies stay crispy. Enjoy!

      Delete