Saturday, January 5, 2013

Red Alert! Principi di Butera's Nero D'Avola


If you like sparkling wine, you are probably familiar with Zonin Prosecco. Did you know that Zonin makes a loooong list of other wines, all produced in Italy? Sometimes in the past I have shied away from Italian wines because, let's face it, even their titles can be hard to pronounce. I want to challenge myself to learn more about Italian wine, so today I focus on Feudo Principi di Butera's Nero D'Avola.

What? Ok, I agree, it's a long name, so let's break it down.

Feudo Principi di Butera: A winery estate in the heart of Sicily, where the altitude and the proximity of the sea give ideal conditions for the production of outstanding wines.

Nero D'Avola: This is just the name of the grape!


Nero d'Avola is called "the most important red wine grape in Sicily" and is one of Italy's most important indigenous varieties. This is a dry red wine, great wine for sipping with dinner.

It is full-bodied red, and the conditions of the soil in Sicily give ths wine a unique flavor, with aromas of cherry and spices.


I like when my red wines stain the cork. I really need to get on doing some of the creative wine cork crafts I always see on Pinterest. But I digress...On to food pairing suggestions, I would probably pair it with my roasted vegetable cous cous.



It also would complement grilled salmon very well because it has a full mouthfeel that can stand  up to the strong flavor of salmon.  

Feudo Principi di Butera's Nero D'Avola is13.5% by volume and retails for less than $20. To check out the many, many wines of Casa Vinicola Zonin, visit their web site. In the meantime, I will be enjoying this delicious glass of red and dreaming of a trip to Sicily...(sigh) Maybe one day!

2 comments:

  1. Yum - I could go for a glass of this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good and not a bad price point! Cheers! :)

      Delete