Saturday, November 10, 2012

Cirque du Soleil KOOZA in St. Petersburg through Dec.16



Awestruck.  That was my state of being during and after seeing Cirque du Soleil’s KOOZA.
 This was my third Cirque du Soleil show, but it had been a few years since I saw La Nouba, so I was over the moon to be invited to the opening night of KOOZA at Tropicana Field in St Pete.

KOOZA is a return to the origins of Cirque du Soleil that combines two circus traditions – acrobatics and clowns. The performers do some of the CRAZIEST things you could ever imagine, which, undoubtedly take all the concentration in the world. That said, no photography is allowed during the show. 

So in this post I will just give you a sneak peek at my Top 3 Favorite Acts of KOOZA:

Charivari:  Words can’t describe it. There were human pyramids, people flipping through the air, bouncing off the landing mats used by firefighters, and a choreographed dance routine


The colors popped, and beautiful music set the scene for the show.

Wheel of Death: KOOZA's 1,600-pound Wheel of Death rotates at top speeds powered only by two performers who leap, jump , fly and sprint in this death-defying hamster wheel contraption.




Wheel of Death...The name of the act is a little bit blunt, right? Just say it in French, it sounds so much better: "Roue de la Mort."

Unicycle Duo:  Two performers wheel around the stage in a combination of balance, acrobatics, physical strength, and dance choreography. It is insane to watch. This unicyclist flips his partner up in the air and whisks her around his neck effortlessly, like a little human scarf, all while peddling around the stage, like it's no big deal.



Two words, friends: Core strength. Makes you want to hold your planks a little longer today, doesn't it?

Seriously, Tampa-- do not hesitate, buy your tickets to this amazing spectacle while it’s still in town, until December 16.  There are shows Wednesdays to Fridays at 7:30 p.m., Saturdays at 3:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.; and Sundays at 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. (No performances on Mondays and Tuesdays -- that must be when these performers sit in ice baths and get 8-hour massages to keep limber for the week's worth of shows!) I mean, really -- some of the things they do seem humanly impossible!

I saw on their web site that you can buy Cirque du Soleil gift cards to give as Christmas presents.  I like this idea, for the person that has everything, asks for nothing and is therefore difficult to buy for (read: my mom!)  I can say with certainly after seeing three shows that there is something for everyone, of any age, to enjoy.  I realize that sounds very cliché, but it’s true!

Another take away from watching the performers in this show was that I really need to work on my flexibility.   


So with that, I’m off to yoga.

Have you seen KOOZA yet? Leave a comment or tweet me @lctampa and tell me what you thought of it! #kooza

2 comments:

  1. Such an amazing show. I want to see it again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post almost made me relive it! Awesome descriptions :)

    ReplyDelete